Monday, February 23, 2009

Holy Progress, Batman!

Mike and I turbo-tiled this weekend, and managed to knock out a giant portion of the master bathroom wall tile. It was surprisingly easy, considering all the cutting that had to take place.

Photos below...

We finished the entire tub surround. When I first saw this idea in Pete's house, I really disliked it. The slate seemed oppressive. Now that I've finished my half, I really like it. I think the difference is that his tile goes up an extra 4" on the wall, and the tiles are darker. Mine are more colorful and earthy. Ooh la la!

The area shown here is the continuation of the tile from the left side of the tub surround. There will eventually be a glass enclosure to keep the shower from spraying everywhere. (Also note - another beer niche, for drinking in the shower, or holding shampoo bottles. Very versatile.)


I think this photo really illustrates just how massive this tiling job is. I have close to 200sqft of slate tile in this bathroom alone. This photo shows the shut off valves for the shower (left) and the rough-in stubs for the two shower heads... I call this area "The Slate Cave." If you stand in here with only shower shower and tub lights on, it feels like you're in a nicely refined Bat Cave. It's a good thing.

2 comments:

barb said...

I`m very impressed with your abilities, your Grandpa would be sooooo proud

Lorene (Renie) said...

Will the slate have to be sealed so the hard water stains won't turn it chalky? Looks superb!!